MATH 133 - Vectors, Matrices and Geometry
McGill University, MAY 2008
Taught by Emilie Richer
EXAM MARKS ARE NOW POSTED ON WEBCT. I HAVE ALSO SUBMITTED YOUR FINAL LETTER GRADES. PLEASE CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE LETTER GRADES I HAVE SUBMITTED ARE CORRECT. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL ME. ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR SUMMER!
- Please ignore question 51 as well, sorry again! It will not be counted in the grade either, I have asked that the question be removed from the assignment, so it might disappear.
- You can ignore the part of question 49 of the webwork where it asks for perpW(v). It will not be counted on the webwork grade. Sorry about that.
- Could you all please take the time to fill out the COURSE EVALUATIONS on Mercury, you have until May 31st to do so.
- Your midterms have been corrected, your marks are posted on WEBCT http://www.mcgill.ca/mycourses/
- Pre-Final Exam OFFICE HOURS: Friday May 31st 9am- 2pm and Monday June 2nd 12pm-1:30pm
- The difference between algebraic and geometric multiplicity of an eigenvalue: the algebraic multiplicity is the multiplicity as seen in class, that is, the number of times the eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial. The geometric multiplicity is the number of basic solutions to the system corresponding to the eigenvalue. A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if, the algebraic multiplicity = geometric multiplicity for each eigenvalue.
- The FINAL EXAM DATE is set please consult the final exam schedule
- Please note, I will not have office hours this Friday May 23rd.
- Here are the SOLUTIONS TO YOUR MIDTERM: math_133_midterm.pdf
- To the anonymous donor: Thanks for the chocolate bar!
- TIP FOR WEBWORK 3 question 13: A matrix A is SINGULAR
if detA = 0
- I will be holding ADDITIONAL OFFICE HOURS, this Wednesday May 21st from 11:30am-4:00pm, my office is in Burnside, room 1243
- Webwork 3 is now posted, it is due SATURDAY May 31st by midnight. Midterm Material will cover up to exercise 15 of Webwork 3.
- THE MIDTERM IS THURSDAY MAY 22nd at 9a.m. IN LEA 26. Please bring your McGill Student Card
- Webwork Assignment 3 is due by midnight, SATURDAY May 31st
- Below are links to previous finals and midterms, note that we might have covered the material in a different order, so the midterms might not cover the same things as ours.
- Here is the link to the Class Schedule from the McGill website
- Here is a copy of the Course Outline
- Here is a link to the Webwork Assignments
- If you have the POOLE textbook, used in previous semesters, the material we will cover is: Ch. 1 (omit 1.4), Ch. 2 (omit p.86,87, 2.4, 2.5), Ch. 3 (omit 3.4, p.224, 3.7), Ch. 4 (omit 4.5, 4.6), Ch. 5 (omit topics on QR and Dual Codes).