Dawson College: Linear Algebra: 201-BZS-05-S01: Fall 2016
taught by Yann Lamontagne
- Happy New Year!
- Exam Office Hours:
Tuesday the 13th of December: 13h00 till 16h00
Wednesday the 14th of December: 15h00 till 18h00 (priority to Prob. and Stats students)
Monday the 19th of December: 13h00 till 16h00
- Vote for your preference on final exam office hours http://doodle.com/poll/5bbynpt6wm5x9wnk.
- Extra office hours on Monday from 11h30 till 13h00.
- Extra office hours on Monday from 11h30 till 13h00.
- Fixed two typos in inference_on_one_proportion.pdf, the 0.65 should of been 0.68.
- Read the following example: inference_on_one_proportion.pdf. If you have questions come to my office hours.
- The formula sheet for test 3 and the final is posted below. The content might change slightly.
- Extra office hours on Monday the 24th from 13h00 till 14h30.
- Extra office hours tomorrow from 12h00 till 12h30, on Thursday from 12h00 till 12h30 and Friday from 11h30 till 12h30.
- For office hours tomorrow, see Emilie in room 8A.11 from 12h00 till 13h00.
- If the data fails to load try:
download.file("http://www.openintro.net/stat/data/bdims.RData", destfile = "bdims.RData")
- The formula sheet provided on Test 2 is under the Reference section.
- There was a mistake in the solutions of question 3c of Test 1.
- Bonus quiz on Thursday. Questions will be taken directly from Test 1.
- Students helping students schedule SHS_schedule.pdf
- The third lab is posted below.
- R and RStudio has been reinstalled in the computer lab. Lab 2 is due next Friday.
- Updated test study guide
- For the quiz you will be given 40 observation and you will need to compute the sample mean, sample standard deviation, total variation, sum of the observation, sum of the observation squared.
- The second lab is assigned below.
- R and RStudio has been installed in the computer lab 2F.26. The first lab is assigned bellow.
Fall 2016: Academic Calendar
Logic Comprehensive Examination:
Up to date grades can be consulted online at https://dawsoncollege.omnivox.ca.
Poisson Approximation to Binomial Distribution
Probability without Replacement: Hypergeometric Distribution
Normal Distribution to Standard Normal Distribution
binomial and normal
Central Limit Theorem for Means
Visual presentation of Power and Type I and Type II errors
The Power of a Test
Normal Distribution vs. t-distribution
Central Limit Theorem for Proportions
Confidence Interval for a Proportion
Chi Squared Distribution Calculator
Diagnostics for simple linear regression
- Do HW from course pack: p.57 #1.1-1.10, 1.12, 1.15-1.18, 1.19abe, 1.23, 1.26, 1.29-1.42. p.373 #6,7. pg.388 #1a, 3ab. pg.117 #2.1-2.10, 2.13 pg.393 #1-26 (added on 12/09/16)
- Do numbers 1, 2d, 3, 5 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_1_solution.pdf
- Do numbers 1, 3a, 6 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_1_Solutions.pdf
- Do numbers 1, 2abcde from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_quiz_1_solution_version_1.pdf
- Do numbers 1,2,4,5,6a-c from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_2v2_solution.pdf (added on 12/09/16)
- Do number 1 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_2_Solutions.pdf(added on 12/09/16)
- Do HW from course pack: p.117 #2.15-2.29, 2.33-2.41, p.400 #1-10, p.159 #3.1-3.18, 3.19-3.20, 3.27-3.40, 3.45-3.48, p.383 #9
- Do number 4 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_1_solution.pdf
- Do numbers 2, 4, 8 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_1_Solutions.pdf
- Do numbers 3, 6 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_2v2_solution.pdf
- Do number 1-4 from http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_2_Solutions.pdf
- Do all of http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_ass_4_solution.pdf (added on 12/10/16)
- Do all except question 6 of http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_3_solution.pdf (added on 12/10/16)
- Do HW from course pack: p.207 #4.1-4.51
- Do all of http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_4_solution.pdf
- Do question 6 of http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_3_solution.pdf
- Do question 6 of http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_test_1_solution.pdf
- Do http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2009/probability_and_statistics_quiz_4_solution.pdf
- Do http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_3_Solutions.pdf
- Do http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Assignment_2_Solutions.pdf
- Do question 4, 5a, 6-9 http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_2_Solutions.pdf
- Do question 5 http://obeymath.org/uploads/Winter2013/Probability_and_Statistics_201_BZS_05_S01_Test_1_Solutions.pdf
- Do HW from course pack: p.257 #5.1-5.36 (added on 13/11/16)
- Do HW from course pack: p.257 #6.1-6.32, 6.36-6.46 (added on 13/11/16)
Final Examination (to be updated)
- Review all tests.
- Complete the above study guides.
- Do HW from course pack: p.257 #7.28, 7.34a
- Try the Dawson College final examination giving yourself 3 hours to complete: Dawson College Previous Final Examinations
- Try the John Abbott final examination: John Abbott Previous Final Examinations
May 2015: skip questions: 15bc, 20
May 2014: skip questions: 6, 13, 14, 19b(do not estimate the variance of the error term)c
December 2013: skip questions: Part I: 1, 5, Part II: 5, 8, Part III: 5b, 9a, Part IV: c (added 05/12/2016)
December 2012: skip questions: 7, 8, 9g, 16cd, 17(added 07/12/2016)
Do the following labs in groups of at most 4.
- The lab report:
- Must be typed and submitted as a .pdf or open source file format.
- Must include the names of the members of the group.
- ALL plots (not only the "On Your Own") must be included in the report with a caption including the command issued to obtain the plot.
- Include ALL exercise (not only the "On Your Own") question followed by the answer.
- A lab which is submitted late receives a grade of 0.
- A lab which is submitted in a file format other than an open source one or .pdf will receive a grade of 0.
- Submit the lab report through Omnivox.
- Individually read about bar plots on page 45 of the course package.
- Individually read about mosaic plots on page 48 of the course package.
- note: Bins is a synonym of classes.
Lab: The normal distribution
Lab: Foundations for statistical inference - Sampling distributions
Lab: Foundations for statistical inference - Confidence intervals
Lab: Foundations for statistical inference - Inference for numerical data
Lab: Foundations for statistical inference - Inference for categorical data
Previous Final Examinations:
Dawson College Previous Final Examinations
John Abbott Previous Final Examinations